Trust: Notes on Authority and Secular ScripturalizingJuly 9, 2016
Meaning: Who Formulates, Manages, Communicates it? Whence? Where Does it Come From?July 12, 2016
Organized as a seminar, the 2017 Meeting will be focused on the Nation/State as major theme. Broadly construed to include geographically-extensive U.N.–recognized entities as well as non-extensive, non-U.N. recognized movements, regional and local bodies in the modern era, the seminar will be divided into sessions devoted to the following major sub-themes and issues—the nation/state as:
- Scriptural formation—impetus/crucible/condition for, terms of production and communication of, meaning
- Police—governor/guarantor of official/licit bounds of iterations of meaning
- Propagator—enabling agent of translation of official meaning into varied contexts/sites/domains/institutions/discourses
- The Concluding Session will focus on implications–for thinking about meaning-production–and ramifications– for individual and/or collective colonization (of consciousness); or freedom, agency, alterity, resistance
The Nation/State Some Basic Questions and Issues
- What conditions and factors led to the development of the modern Nation/State?
- What are some of its (historical and present) forms?
- What are some of its interests and priorities?
- How are these interests and priorities maintained?
- How are these interests and priorities contested?
Accommodations and Registration Information
As one of the top hotels in the fashionable Uptown area, the Holiday Inn® Charlotte Center City offers a terrific location that is just eight miles from Charlotte Douglas Airport (CLT). Our modern architecture, stylishly appointed rooms and high-quality service combine to rank us among the most distinguished hotels in Charlotte, NC.
1 King Bed Leisure Nonsmoking – This contemporary room is equipped with free high speed WiFi access and a 37 inch TV with HD premium channels. Enjoy the view of uptown charlotte or finish work at the well lit desk with an ergonomic chair. Room includes microwave and mini fridge.
2 Double Beds Nonsmoking – Contemporary style and perks like free high speed WiFi access and a 37 inch HD TV are only part of the charm in this room with a view of uptown charlotte. Enjoy the well lit work desk with an ergonomic chair and mini fridge with microwave.
- Online – Make reservations here. In order to qualify for the discounted ISS rate please select a “Check In” date of January 26th and a “Check Out” date of January 29th. If you have any questions, or would like to arrange alternate dates, please call.
- Phone – (888) HOLIDAY. Use the group code when making your reservation by phone (below).
Group Code – ISS.
Please note, December 27th is the last day to book a room in ISS’s reserved block of rooms– after this date room reservations are catch as catch can!
- Must be a current ISS member to register. You can sign up here for your ISS membership (at any level).
- General Registration: $100
- Students: $35
- Register Here
Thursday (January 26)
8:00 – 9:00pm Reception | Venue: Spirit Ballroom
Friday (January 27)
8:00 – 8:30am Breakfast (Mezzanine)
8:30am Opening Session | Venues: Discovery Ballroom
For more details, see the updated program booklet
Check the Charlotte weather forecast HERE, and remember to pack appropriately.
- Rose Transportation (Andy Thompson) 704-522-8258.
- Taxi cab is $25 each way; add $10 per person.
- Uber is always a great idea(very economical usually around $15) This is a phone application. Click HERE to estimate the cost of your trip
- Sprinter Bus: $2.50 each way (must have correct change) / stops at CLT transportation center; located only 2 blocks away from the hotel. (Click HERE for more information)
- Sprinter bus schedule: Mon-Fri: every 20 minutes | Sat-Sun: every 30 minutes
Looking forward to see you in Charlotte.